Gastroenterology is the study of the digestive tract. It includes all aspects of the digestion process, from swallowing and chewing food to absorbing nutrients and eliminating waste.
The digestive system has a number of different functions. The upper GI tract, which includes the mouth, esophagus, stomach and duodenum, breaks down food into smaller particles so it can be more easily digested by enzymes in the small intestine. The small intestine is where most of the absorption of nutrients takes place. The large intestine removes water from waste material before it leaves through the rectum as feces or solid bowel movements.
At Katy Integrative Gastroenterology, we specialize in diagnosing and treating diseases that affect this area of medicine.
- Celiac Disease
- Crohn's Disease
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO)
- Abdominal Pain
- Hepatitis C
- Fatty Liver Disease
- Swallowing Disorders
- Belching and Bloating
- Prevention of Gastrointestinal Diseases
- Gallbladder Disease
- Rectal Bleeding
- Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Unintentional Weight Loss
- Crohns Disease-Related Arthritis
- Polyp to Colon Cancer Progression